Menu

Texas Independence Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Hallettsville


John Hallett settled here in 1831 on a land grant from Stephen F. Austin. After Hallett’s death in 1836, his wife Margaret donated land for a townsite. As seat of Lavaca County since 1852, the town is known for its 1897 Romanesque Revival Courthouse, a masterpiece designed by notable Texas architect Eugene Heiner of Houston. Ornate interiors, original 109 year old windows and the impressive slate roof and tower were all restored through the Texas Historic Courthouse Preservation Program and make for a rewarding heritage traveler stop.

Hallettsville is also known for its annual state fiddling and domino championships. Local baseball legends loom large at the Lavaca Historical Museum. Housed in a 19th-century home, the museum also recounts the immigration of German and Czech settlers to the area.


Contact


Map