Menu

Texas Independence Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Panna Maria


In this pastoral setting, a sprawling oak stands beside the restored 1877 Immaculate Conception Church. Panna Maria (“Virgin Mary” in Polish) is where Silesian immigrants in 1854 held the first Catholic Mass in their new home, making it the first permanent Polish settlement in the U.S. The story of this cultural touchstone is told through displays in the 1858 St. Joseph’s School. Other town features include the 1875 Pilarczyk Store (now a visitors center) and the 1855 Snoga Store and one-room post office, still in use. 


Contact

  • Contact: Panna Maria Historical Society
  • Phone: 830-780-4471
  • Visit Website

Map


Photo Gallery

Click on any image to view the photo gallery.