Menu

Texas Independence Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Columbus: Confederate Memorial Museum


Photo by TXDOT

FROM WATER TOWER TO WAR MEMORIAL

The Confederate Memorial Museum, located in Columbus, commemorates far more than the soldiers of Colorado County who fought in the Civil War. According to the Shropshire-Upton Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (the memorial’s stewards), this Recorded Texas Historic Landmark is dedicated to the Colorado County veterans of all wars. In its service as a museum, the memorial houses a collection of artifacts and objects of Civil War soldiers and their families associated with Columbus and surrounding Colorado County.

The history of the memorial’s structure is also an important part of its legacy. Built in 1883, the unusual work of architecture served as the local fire house and water tower for Columbus for over twenty-five years until an increase in population and the increase in the number of downtown buildings required a more suitable firefighting system. The tower structure is constructed of thirty-two inch walls comprised of over 400,000 handmade bricks. A five-hundred gallon water tank sat on top of the tower and was filled with water from the nearby Colorado River. Hydrants provided access to the water tank, allowing firefighters to connect directly to the source. In 1926, the United Daughters of the Confederacy purchased the structure and converted it into the museum.


Location

  • 1101-, 1199 Milam St
  • Columbus, Texas
  • 78934

Contact

Hours & Fees

  • Mon, Thurs, Fri 10am - 2 pm

  • $1/person


Map