Menu

Texas Independence Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Cuero: Lindenau Rifle Club and Dance Hall


Photo: Dianna Bartosh

German farmers settled Lindenau in 1891, building a schoolhouse and community center two years later. In 1906, the town was moved to become the depot for the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad. The first Lindenau hall moved with the town but was eventually replaced with the Lindenau Rifle Club in 1901. Halls such as this served multiple community purposes and organizations. Local German-Texans organized St. John’s Lutheran Church in 1902 – originally meeting in the school house – and its present building was constructed in 1907. 

Watch our New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein video to learn more about German Texan cultural heritage in Texas.  This video was produced for inclusion in our German Texans mobile tour found in our Texas Time Travel Tours mobile app. Download the app for more videos and travel information:


Location

  • 22 Streidel Lane
  • Cuero, Texas
  • 77954

Contact

Hours

  • See website for events schedule


Map