Menu

Texas Independence Trail Region

Participant in the Texas Historical Commission's
Texas Heritage Trails Program

Round Top: Winedale Historical Center


Photo by TXDOT

Winedale, one of five divisions of the Center for American History, is a complex of nineteenth-century structures and modern facilities situated on 225 acres near Round Top, Texas, in northern Fayette County. The heart of Winedale is its historic buildings, each structure offering a tangible link to our past through its architecture and furnishings and the histories of its buildings, owners, and occupants. Annual events include the Winedale Quilt Exhibit and the summer Shakespeare at Winedale performances and more.

Winedale derives its name from a German community that existed briefly after 1870 in Washington County, but after 1881 the village was relocated nearby in Fayette County along Jack's Creek. Today's Winedale is the legacy of Houston philanthropist Miss Ima Hogg, whom originally purchased approximately ninety acres of land and related buildings on the former Samuel K. Lewis Farmstead in 1963 in order to preserve the Lewis family home. Two years later, in the midst of her restoration of the structures, Miss Hogg donated the entire property, including period furnishings, to the University of Texas.
 


Location

  • 3738 FM 2714
  • Round Top, Texas
  • 78954

Contact

Hours & Fees

  • Tours are by appointment only.

  • See website for special events and pricing.


Map